Shell script for managing blender addons with ease.

https://github.com/faerietree/shell__blenderaddons_gather_and_link

Perhaps, at some point, I’ll create the same for freecad. It’s easy to adapt if someone desires it.

This finally removes another cornerstone that stopped my productivity when it came to having to update addons over and over for new blender releases (which are frequent).
No longer many copies and versions of the same addon! No longer not knowing which was the most recent file! It’s all over … with this shell script. For Linux. For a better world.

Klingt cool.

Ich verlass mich, was updates bei Blender und FreeCad angeht, bislang schlichtweg auf die Ubuntu-Distribution, aber damit hinke ich natürlich gerade in bezug auf neue, aber dringend benötigte Features, meilenweit hinterher.

Andererseits wähne ich mich damit aber auch auf der „sicheren“ Seite. Es wär mir arg, wenn ich mir, durch unbedachte Nutzung einer parallelen, aber aktuelleren Version, meine „systemintegrierte“ Version zerschiessen bzw. un-lauffähig machen würde.

Um Dein Script wirklich nutzen zu können bräuchte man sowas wie eine kurz und knackige, aber auch idiotensichere, step-by-step Anleitung für eine parallele Installation des jeweils neuesten Branches. … die man dann mit Deinem Script auf dem neusten Stand halten könnte. Und am liebsten dasselbe auch noch für FreeCad. :wink:

Gruss, Oliver

Okay, you first need addons. (Because if you don’t need addons in blender, then this script is useless. This script operates on any Blender installation/release, but the location to the unpacked-blender-folder/2.7x must be known. If you can’t find it, then it’s probably in ~/.config/blender/)

You only need more than one blender copies if you use BlenderCAM, though until we have the LinuxCNC part running on at least one of our 3D manufacturing machines, this is not really usable yet. Thus this proves our point, that we need to get the basic manufacturing technology laid out.
@FreeCAD: No prob. Once I know more about FreeCAD and really am able to compile it manually and set it up with proper addons, then I’ll quickly throw a convenience script together.